Exercises for Specific Body Parts that Really Work
As many of us continue to work out from home to stay safe, some struggle to find exercise that target their “problem area.” Consider implementing one of the techniques below for exercises that work.
Cartoon Walking Lunges
- Raise your arms overhead.
- Take a step forward with your right leg that is half the length of your longest stride.
- Keeping your back straight, drop your left knee so it hovers above the ground.
- As you stand, shift to your right foot and raise your left knee up to your chest.
- Pause, then repeat on the opposite side
Hop Scotch Drop Squats
- Balance on your right foot with your arms at your sides.
- Drop to a low squat and swing your arms out in front of you, up to shoulder height.
- Hold for as long as you please, then jump back to standing position and repeat on the opposite side.
- Position your body like a sprinter’s starting stance.
- Keep your fingertips on the ground and send your hips up.
- Straighten your front leg as much as possible.
- Go up and down, for however long you desire, then switch legs.
Standing Barre Butt Work
- Face a countertop or chair back with shoulders, hips, and knees aligned, feet hip-distance apart in parallel lines.
- Rest your hands on the surface in front of you and lean forward so your weight is on the balls of your feet.
- Extend your right leg behind you, pointing your foot.
- Squeeze your glute muscle and lift the toe off the floor and lower it again with as many repetitions as you’d like.
Arms and shoulders
Bent Arm Dumbbell Lateral Raise
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand.
- Raise your arms out to the sides and bend your elbows to a 90-degree-angle once at shoulder height.
- Pause, then lower the weights back to starting position and repeat.
Plank Walk-Up to Push-Up
- Get into a push-up position
- Lower your right elbow to the ground where your right hand was, and do the same with the left.
- From this front plank position, return to the push-up position.
- Repeat as many times as you’d like.
Wall clap push-up
- Stand on toes with feet shoulder-width apart.
- Place your hands slightly wider than shoulder-with apart against a wall in front of you.
- Let your upper body come forward with bent elbows (do not let your hips fall!)
- Push away from the wall as fast as possible, clapping hands when arms are fully extended.
- Extend hands in front of you into the same starting position, repeat.
- Stand with feet hip-width apart.
- Lean against wall as if sitting in a chair.
- Push lower back into wall by squeezing your abdominal muscles.
- Bring your arms to shoulder height, elbows bent at 90-degrees, maintaining contact with the wall.
- Slide arms up walls, reaching toward ceiling as you straighten them.
Cat and Cow Spinal Movements
- Align your wrists under your shoulders and your knees under your hips, engaging your core.
- Inhale, drop your belly, and bring your gaze forward (cow).
- Exhale, round your back, and tuck your chin to your chest (cat).
- Repeat these movements as many times as you like.
- Take a plank position.
- With the upper body stationary, push one knee toward your chest and twist your hips. Twist so your hips open to the wall on the same side as your stable leg.
- Extend the same leg so that it’s straight and touch your foot to the floor.
- Repeat as much as you’d like, then switch legs
The Bird Dog
- Rest your hands on the ground under your shoulders and your knees under your hips.
- Stretch your leg arm and right leg out until they are parallel to the floor.
- Come back, touching the floor, and switch sides. Repeat.
Book an Appointment
5920 Saratoga Blvd., Ste. 110B Corpus Christi, Texas. 78414